Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Wifey

In honor of Valentine’s Day next week, let’s talk about love.💗 I met Zack my junior year of high school. We were classmates in the most romantic class (just kidding); advanced algebra and trigonometry. I would go home and talk about him with my friends, even referring to him as my “husband”. Then one day we started talking through a mutual friend and years later, that mutual friend became a pastor and ended up marrying us. It was awesome.

Even though we’ve been married for years, it still seems a bit strange to hear Zack refer to me as his wife. After talking about it for so long, it still seems surreal that we’re actually at this point in our lives. We used to talk about where we would want to buy a house, how many kids we wanted, if we wanted any pets, and now we’re living it. It’s been great to see our dreams and goals come to fruition.

When we were dating, we used to go out on dates a few times a week. We’d go out to dinner, see movies, or just enjoy each other’s company. Now that we’re married with a house of our own and a toddler, we go on about one date a year. Not that going on official “dates” is that important, but it signifies time together that we don’t usually get. Living a busy life certainly makes the seemingly simple things more difficult!

This video by Talya Rose has some great tips about keeping a happy marriage during child rearing years!


Not that I’m trying to make excuses, but when you work full time, go to school, and take care of a toddler, it’s pretty easy to let spousal relationships fall to the back burner. We make sure to spend time together every day and do our best to make the other feel important and remembered. Even though those are just little things, they are important. I’ll have significantly more free time after I graduate in June, and that means I am going to spend some quality time with Zack. Even if it’s just quiet time together on the deck or watching a movie on the couch, anything as long as it is quality time spent together!

Ashley


6 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley thanks for this great post so close to Valentine's Day. Although I am not married yet I look forward to the day when me and my girlfriend will be married. This blog is a great reminder that even when life gets busy you can still show care and love for each other in small ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute story! I am not married myself, but I am in a serious relationship and I feel like these things are also important in my relationship! Opposite schedules, different colleges, and personal lives, it's so important to keep the importance of quality time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Thanks for the valentines day story. I am currently in the middle of getting married and cant wait to spend the time with my future wife. I hope Alanna and myself get to enjoy life like you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I love your post and wanted to share what my husband and I have started doing. With three kids and work and school, carving out quality time was starting to feel impossible. Now, every Wednesday night, I put off homework and neither of us touch our phones. We rent a movie and have an "us" night. It's been pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed reading this - I am in the process of planning my wedding and I can relate quite a bit with this. Thank you, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete